Monday, November 7, 2011

November 2011 Newsletter


"sa.cred - Dedicated or devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose, or person.

We are deep into my favorite season of the year. I love that autumn lingers here in the Pacific Northwest. I have been enjoying the multisensory experience of the season - the changing leaves, the cool air, the dampness, the dark setting in, the brilliant sunsets we've had over the past few weeks and the inner sensation that change is afoot. This is the time of year I typically reflect on where I am and where I desire to be. There is no rush or sense of urgency around making changes, just the quiet reflection and anticipation for a slow emergence. With that, I want to share with you that as I prepare for my 11/11/11 class I have been spending a lot of time thinking about my sacred livelihood; my purpose.

I have a full-time job at the University of Washington as the assistant director of the Global Health Resource Center. I have the tremendous joy of working with students that want to create a better world by addressing the causes of, and providing solutions for, disparities in health around the globe. I am also a Nia instructor/educator/facilitator. Movement is the heart and soul of my life and world. For me, there is no health, wellness or vibrancy without the pleasure and joy of movement. I am also a wife, daughter, aunt, friend, colleague and soul sister to many :)

As I think of the intersection between these very different parts of my life what has emerged is that my sacred purpose is to hold the space for others to discover and pursue their dreams of creating a better world whether that's through discovering the joy of movement or providing ethical and loving approaches to health around the world. I know that, as with all movement, my purpose is dynamic and fluid. It will change as I change. But at this moment in time, I believe my single purpose is to serve as a conduit and resource, to inspire, hold the space and provide an open heart, mind and spirit for you to spread your wings and fly.

I hope that you will join me in exploring and perhaps discovering your sacred livelihood at my special 11/11/11 class.

And now for news. There's lots of it :):

My new weekly class schedule is as follows -
Mondays at 5:30pm at Open Flight Studio in the University District
Sundays at 10:30am at Delilah's Belly Dance Studio in Fremont
and
Wednesdays at 5:30pm at Community Fitness 65th Street
Saturdays at 1:00pm at Community Fitness Roosevelt Studio

I will be in Montreal at the Consortium of Universities for Global Health annual conference from November 12 - 16, 2012. 
All of my classes will be lovingly covered by my amazing Nia sisters:
Saturday, November 12, 201, 1pm at Community Fitness Roosevet Studio - Gayle Holeton
Sunday, November 13, 2011, 10:30am at Delilah's Belly Dance Studio in Fremont - Quincy Anderson
Monday, November 14, 2011, 5:30pm at Open Flight Studio in the University District - Jeanna Wheeler
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 5:30pm at Community Fitness 65th St - Gretchen Musgrove

I will be so excited to dance with you when I return!

Subbing for Jena Hennessey
I am delighted to sub for Jena this coming Friday November 18, 2011 from 6p-7pm at the Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood.

Special class on 11/11/11
Dancing through the 11:11 Portal
Friday, November 11, 2011
11am – 12:30pm
Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood
Cost: $11
Join me for a special Nia class on 11/11/11 at 11am. We will be guided by Principle 11 of the Nia White Belt: Creating a Sacred Livelihood. Come and dance your unique dance, share your unique gifts and plant the seeds for a future of living more consciously from a place of inspiration and purpose. Let me know you are attending. Email me at jennifer@everybodyloveyourbody.com

Nia Thanksgiving Benefit Class for Noel House 
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Time: 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Where: The Civetta Dance Space  
124 N 103rd St., Seattle, WA 98133 
Cost: $15
Join me and Gretchen Musgrove for a special Nia class on Thanksgiving Day to benefit Noel House, a shelter for homeless women in Seattle. Start your Thanksgiving day off with an hour of dance in the spirit of gratitude, service and sisterhood. Forward this announcement to friends who might appreciate a new twist on tradition!

I will be subletting Susan Tate's timeslot and teaching the following special classes in November and early December. You may use my class card or drop-in for $13 per class:

Tuesdays, November 22 and 29, 2011 - two day's only
Time: 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Where: Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood
124 N 103rd Street, Seattle, WA 98133

Thursday, December 1, 2011 - one day only
Time: 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Where: Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood
124 N 103rd Street, Seattle, WA 98133

As the dark and cold season sets in this is the perfect time to dream about Hawaii. There is still time to register for my in February 2012 rejuvenating Hawaii retreat with Delilah Flynn of Delilah's Belly Dance Studio. 

Belly Dance and Nia Retreat
February 4-9, 2012
Kalani Oceanside Retreat Center in Hawaii
6 Days 5 nights of Nia, belly dancing and more at the beautiful Kalani Oceanside Retreat Center in Hawaii
For more information: http://www.delilahs-belly-dance-retreat.com/January2012-B/aboutretreat2012B.html

Finally, as I announced in my October newsletter, my Nia Seattle colleagues and mentors Jill Pagano and Randee Fox are hosting their first Nia White Belt Intensive as trainers right here in Seattle starting on November 12, 2011. There are a number of classes available to everyone during the weeklong training. I am so sad that I will miss these community classes as I will be in Montreal for most of the time. Seize the opportunity to learn from these incredible trainers:

Community BLAST class with Trainers, Randee Fox and Jill Pagano during the Nia White Belt Week Nov 12-18th
Sunday 11/13 The Joy of Movement Focus - 11:15 AM
Monday 11/14 The Base of the Body Focus - 8 AM & 6:15 PM
Tuesday 11/15 The Core of the Body Focus - 9:30 AM & 6:15 PM
Wednesday 11/16 The Upper Extremities of the Body - 8 AM & X-Ray Anatomy - 6:15 PM
Thursday 11/17 Surprise! - 9:30 AM
Friday 11/18 - 8:00 AM Sensing your Body
All classes are $15 and will be held at Blue Heron Ranch Moving Arts Studio, 25025 NE 8th Street, Sammamish 98074
To preregister, please contact Randee Fox at randee@randeefox.com
 
Excited to play with you again on the dance floor,
Jennifer

Nia Thanksgiving Benefit for Noel House

Nia Benefit Class
Thanksgiving Day

Thurs, Nov 24, 2011
Time: 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Civetta Dance Space  
124 N 103rd St.,
Seattle, WA 98133 
Cost: $15
Please RSVP:
gretchen.blissfulfitness@gmail.com
Join me and Gretchen Musgrove for a special Nia class on Thanksgiving Day to benefit Noel House, a shelter for homeless women in Seattle. Start your Thanksgiving day off with an hour of dance in the spirit of gratitude, service and sisterhood. Forward this announcement to friends who might appreciate a new twist on tradition!
NiaSeattle Fall Jam Poster

NiaSeattle Fall Jam

Sat., Nov. 12, 2011, 1-2:30 pm,
Mt. Baker Community Clubhouse
$20 at the door
For more information, click here.
Tune in. Turn on and come Dance! Connect with Seattle's growing Nia Community for an afternoon of soul-charging dance. A sparkling lineup of local Nia teachers will get you to glow.
Funds generated from the Fall Jam are designated toward updating the NiaSeattle website and donations to communities in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment