Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 2012 Newsletter - Aloha!

A'a i ka hula, waiho i ka maka'u i ka hale
Translation from Hawaiian: Dare to dance, leave shame at home
 
First thing tomorrow morning I leave for Hawaii. I feel like I have been preparing for this Nia and Belly Dancing retreat for nearly a year yet I still feel like I have so much to do! I have butterflies in my belly and excitement fills my soul. Joining me on the journey to Hawaii are my Nia sister-colleagues, Sandra Caldwell and Jen Kraft. They are both phenomenal women-healers that I feel honored to dance with. And just a week ago my beautiful mother-in-law, Winni, decided to join us for the retreat. Winni has just recently discovered her passion for sewing. I always knew she was talented. She made my wedding dress 11 years ago and it was truly the most beautiful dress I've ever worn. Wait until you see the skirts, veils and tops she made for us to dance in at this retreat. Wow! I feel full. Life is good.

My intention for this retreat is to share what I love most about Nia - the art of being fully present in my body and joyfully dancing my dance. The mindfulness, presence and joy that this practice has brought into my life is unparalleled. If I can just share a taste of it I will have accomplished a part of my life's purpose. I also know, from friends, that Hawaii has a way of working her magic. I am open to whatever decides to come through me while I am there. I am ready to teach, to share, to learn, to receive and surrender to the magic of paradise. The retreat will be held at the Kalani Oceanside Retreat. Take a look at the facilities: http://www.kalani.com/guest-info/facilities Can you understand why I can hardly wait to get there?!

I will try and post photos and short reflections about the retreat on my blog: http://everybodyloveyourbody.blogspot.com/ and Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/EverybodyLoveYourBody

The retreat runs from February 4 - 9. While I am away my classes at Community Fitness will continue as usual and will be subbed by the exquisite Gretchen Musgrove.

While I am gone, feel free to take this online class masterfully taught by Nia creator Debbie Rosas: http://www.nianow.com/story/2012/01/nia-class-video-awareness-of-muscles
Note: Press play on the video on this webpage and then expand to the full screen using the icon that looks like four arrows on the bottom right side of the video.

I will be back in Seattle on February 10th arriving home on the red-eye in time to take a quick nap and teach Second Friday Nia from 7:30pm-8:30pm at the Dance Space in Greenwood. I haven't selected a theme for this class yet but I suspect it will have something to do with Hawaii :). Please join me that night and feel free to wear a leis! My regular teaching schedule resumes when I return with these exciting changes:

Mondays - Open Flight Studio
No class on February 6 due to a performance at the studio.
My last class will be held on February 13, 2012 at 5:30pm. Please join me in dancing a goodbye dance to this beautiful studio overlooking the University Way.

Tuesdays - NEW - Nia and Yoga
Join me and Liziah Woodruff, certified Viniyoga instructor, for this weekly 75-minute class
9:15am - 10:30am
The Dance Space in Greenwood
124 N 103rd Street Seattle, WA 98133
Note: Please bring a yoga mat. Class fee is the same. $13 drop-in or use a class card

Wednesdays - Community Fitness 65th St studio, 5:30pm - 6:30pm

Thursdays - NEW - Nia
9:30am - 10:30am
The Dance Space in Greenwood
124 N 103rd Street Seattle, WA 98133
Note: This will be a regular class but I am also offering it as an Introduction to Nia class for new students.

Second Friday Nia - next up: February 10, 2012
7:30pm - 8:30pm
The Dance Space in Greenwood
124 N 103rd Street Seattle, WA 98133

Saturdays - Community Fitness Roosevelt studio, 1:00pm - 2:00pm

Sundays - Delilah's Belly Dance Studio in Fremont, 10:30am - 11:30am

Sundays February 19 – March 18, 2012 - Nia 5 Stages of Self-Healing Five-Week Series:
The Dance Space in Greenwood, 124 N 103rd Street Seattle, WA 98133
5pm - 6pm on 2/19, 2/26, 3/4, 3/11 and 3/18
Cost: $50 for the series or $13 drop-in
Description: Nia 5 Stages is a powerful integrative practice based on the five stages of human development: embryonic, creeping, crawling, standing and walking. This practice is dedicated to self-healing and to using these five movements as stimulation to feel better in your body. The object of practicing these five simple movements is to prepare the body to become more functional, energetic, and comfortable while doing any movement such as: dancing, walking, running, yoga, martial arts, etc. This practice allows you to sense the natural ability your body has to realign itself and self-heal through movement. By the end of this five-week series you will have an in-depth introduction to each of the movements so that you can sustain a home practice.
Come for the series or drop-in when you can.

I am especially excited to be establishing a consistent presence at The Dance Space in Greenwood. As Gretchen Musgrove says often - it is our sanctuary. Indeed it is. It is a sanctuary - a place to heal, thrive, laugh, love and heal. I am grateful to joing Gretchen, Susan Tate and Jena Hennessey there. Please follow us on our blog and Facebook page.

See you in a week - It is likely I will return with a tan, mosquito bites, a love for Hawaii, and a new passion for belly dancing to match my passion for Nia!
Jennifer

NEW! 75-minute Nia and Yoga Weekly Classes
with Jennifer Lucero-Earle and Liziah Woodruff
Tuesday mornings - Classes begin Feb 14
9:30am – 10:30am at The Dance Space in Greenwood
$13 drop-in or use my class card.
Bring a yoga mat. 
This class includes 45 minutes of Nia: sensory-based movement practice that combines the expressiveness of dance, the power and explosiveness of martial arts and the wisdom of the healing arts, and 30 minutes of Viniyoga: a highly adaptable, meditative, relaxing and healing form of yoga. This weekly class will leave you with a healthy body, quiet mind, open heart and vibrant spirit.
Intro to Nia Series
Whether you've never done Nia before or are a fairly new or experienced student, this series is open to all who want to return to beginners mind-body and deepen their Nia practice.
Introduction to Nia Six-Week Series
Thursday mornings - Classes begin Feb 16
Classes are held on the following dates:
2/16, 2/23, 3/1, 3/8, 3/15 and 3/22
9:30am – 10:30am at The Dance Space in Greenwood, 124 N 103rd St, Seattle, WA 98133
Cost: $65 for the six-week series, $13 drop-in or use my class card.
Join me for this six-week introduction to Nia. No previous experience required. Learn to dance in a way that expresses your unique self while improving your balance, coordination and developing greater flexibility, agility, mobility, strength and stability. Nia is appropriate for all fitness levels, body types and ages. Wear comfortable clothes, bring water, your bare feet and a smile. Come for the joy of movement! Sign up for the series or feel free to use my class card or drop-in.
To register email: jennifer@everybodyloveyourbody.com

NiaSeattle Fall Jam Poster
Five-week Nia 5 Stages Series 
Sunday evenings Feb 19 - March 18
Specific dates: 2/19, 2/26, 3/4, 3/11 and 3/18 
Time: 5pm - 6pm
Where: The Dance Space in Greenwood, 124 N 103rd St, Seattle, WA 98133
Cost: $50 for the series or $13 drop-in
Nia 5 Stages is a powerful practice to realign and self-heal the body. Through music, imagery, movement and language, this class guides you through five stages based on the natural phases of human development: Embryonic, Creeping, Crawling, Standing and Walking. This practice is dedicated to self-healing and to using these five movements as stimulation to feel better in your body.
The object of practicing these five simple movements is to prepare the body to become more functional, energetic, and comfortable while doing any movement such as: dancing, walking, running, yoga, martial arts, etc. This practice allows you to sense the natural ability your body has to realign itself and self-heal through movement. By the end of this five-week series you will have an in-depth introduction to each of the movements so that you can sustain a home practice. Sign-up for the series, drop-in for $13 or use a class card.
Register: jennifer@everybodyloveyourbody.com









No comments:

Post a Comment