Friday, December 17, 2010

She Rewards Me With Magic

The focus of tonight’s class is creative movement through sensation. The intent is to celebrate your body’s way.



Yesterday I read and was inspired by a testimonial from a Nia teacher on the Nianow.com website.
Anne Francis, Nia teacher in the UK wrote:
“I teach and practice Nia to explore a side of my life that I had previously largely ignored. I dashed through life to appease the invisible parents, the ruthless society, the crazy world – without realising that my body, the wonderfully magical machine that encompasses my thoughts, dreams and soul yearnings, had such delights to offer me. We're more in step now; I listen more. My body has responded with increased energy levels, deep restorative sleep, muscles appearing from beneath layers of fat, improved scrabble scores, twinge-free meditations and the ability to wear my killer heels without guilt or pain.”
Full testimonial: http://nianow.com/testimonial/nia-testimonial-anne-francis-nia-teacher 


Anne's testimonial resonated with me. I was dashing through life, not to appease anyone, but because I had (and have) so much energy that I craved being in a constant state of "doing." Much of my doing was disconnected from sensation, or body listening, which is why I usually ended up depleted. The practice of Nia has taught me to cultivate conscious and meaningful doing that is based on listening to my body. I follow her prompts and she rewards me with magic. I love how I feel when I move and I find myself dancing a new dance almost every day. It's truly a celebration.


Tonight, I invite you to join me in listening to, responding to and celebrating our wonderfully magical bodies. Let’s dance! 5:30pm at Open Flight Studio in the University District.


*This is my last Friday evening class at Open Flight Studio. I am co-teaching the next two Fridays, Decembers 24th and 31st from 9:30am – 10:30am with Jena Hennessey at the Dance Space in Greenwood. 


**On January 7, 2011 I begin teaching my Friday evening class from 6pm-7pm at Delilah’s Belly Dance Studio in Fremont.



No comments:

Post a Comment