Sunday, December 5, 2010

Voice of the Connective Tissue

The focus of tonight’s Gentle Nia and Nia 5 Stages combined class is on the connective tissue and transubstantiation. Transubstantiation is the conversion of one substance into another. In Nia, we identify it as the space and what occurs between things. When you substantiate two movements, there is seamlessness. The movement is continuous.

Connective tissue, the largest tissue of the body, shows us that everything in the body is meant to be connected, not isolated components. It provides not only support, but also the transportation of signals, nutrients, gases and wastes throughout the body. Connective tissue is the stuff in between that transmits information. The type of connective tissue we will primarily focus on tonight is the fascia – a web-like sweater that provides support by encasing bones, muscles, organs, ligaments, and tendons. We will play with seamlessly connecting one movement to the next.

Voice of the Connective Tissue*
My job is to connect and support in adaptive ways. I am a fibrous fabric sheet that assists you in moving elegantly. Elastic in nature, I control the multi-directional wave of energy flowing along your bones and through your muscles. I transmit movement through your whole body. I support your entire skeleton and make it possible for your bones to float and rest. I vary in design based on the number and density of my fibers. I can be hard, soft, elastic or rigid. In bone, I am hard.

On the surface of muscle, I am heavy. When I embrace and enfold muscle tissue, you know me as your myofascia. You can find me anywhere in the body. I’m even under your skin. Your structure could not function without me.

I lose my flexibility when you become sedentary or when your alignment causes one part of your body to continuously do more than it is designed to do. Keep me healthy by moving in dynamic, functional ways that improve whole body integration.

A reflection of my health can be seen in your body as your shape and contour changes. Constant tension in your body causes me to stiffen, limiting your ability to lengthen and move freely. If you don’t move me, I become thick and bind parts of your body. This limits your whole body’s interaction and mobility. Moving connective tissue with Dynamic Ease and Systemic Sensation keeps my support elastic. I change in response to movement.

Visualize me as an organized, but irregular spider web, the score upon which the musical notes of your movements are written to create a symphony of bone, muscle, and organ system sounds whose tones resonate fluidity, balance and harmony.

Class begins at 5:00pm at the Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood.  Come experience seamless systemic movement.

*From www.Nianow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment