Monday, July 25, 2011

August 2011 Newsletter

Hello everyone,

This will be a short(er) newsletter as I have plans to post several articles this month on my blog so please check it frequently. If you are on Facebook, please fan my Everybody, Love Your Body page to keep up with my article updates.

Learning to Fly together: July 28, 2011
I enter August with deep gratitude in my heart. On July 28, 2011, I will celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary. I feel incredibly lucky to be married to my best friend. These past ten years have brought abrupt change, death, illness, trauma and sadness. They have equally brought a deepening of love, laughter, immense joy, gratitude and a closeness that only comes with time and authentic connection. I would not change or trade this journey for anything.

To celebrate our anniversary, my husband and I are going away for a couple of days. Mollia Jensen, my dear friend and fellow Nia instructor, will be teaching my 6:30pm class at Fresh Fitness and Dance in Wallingford on Thursday, July 28th. Mollia is a fabulous Nia instructor. You will love her energy. She is playful, full of sweetness and she has terrific musical taste. With her I enjoy artists such as Olivia Newton-John, the Steve Miller Band and Rush. Mollia rocks! You can learn more about Mollia on her website: http://www.mahaflow.com. Please join her on Thursday eve this week!

Celebrating a year of teaching, learning and playing:
My first class (demo) with amazing supportive friends.
August 1, 2010 at the Civetta Dance Space.
Then, on August 1st, I celebrate my one-year anniversary teaching Nia! I have been a devoted Nia student for 8 years and the past year teaching has brought my relationship with Nia to an entirely new level of intimacy. As a student, I danced with joy and a spirit of playfulness. As a teacher, I move with joy and that same spirit of play but am more attuned to my body and to sensation. My dance arises from every single cell in my body instead of just my muscles, bones and mind. I will write more about my one year of teaching in an article next week.

A week of special classes:
I will teach a week of special classes (8/1, 8/2, 8/3, 8/4, 8/6 and 8/7) the first week of August honoring my first year of teaching! Come dance with me! My playlist will include songs from the first routine I taught (Sanjana) as well as a compilation of songs from all of the routines I learned this past year.

NEWS! I am teaching Tuesday evenings for the entire month of August only! I will be subletting Susan Tate’s timeslot at the Dance Space.

Please join me for Nia Tuesdays in August:
When: Tuesday 8/2, 8/9, 8/16, 8/23 and 8/30
Time: 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Where: Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood
124 N 103rd St, Seattle, WA, 98133

Other than the addition of Tuesday evenings in August, my class schedule remains unchanged.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 - free special Belly Dancing class after Nia!:
Join me for my regular Nia class on Sunday, August 14, 2011 at Delilah's Belly Dance Studio in Fremont and stay for an extra half hour (11:30am - 12pm) for a free 30 min belly dance class taught by Delilah. I don't know about you but I can hardly wait to learn from Delilah!

"Circle Belidi; A Dance of Birthing and Reclaiming " This is a dance Delilah has taught dancers all over the world. It just might be the first belly dance folk dance! It's made up of 7 steps and is a fun and empowering ! Lasts 30 minutes immediatly following the Sunday Nia class.

I'm subbing in August:

  • Friday, August 12, 2011, 6:00pm - 7:00pm at the Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood (for Jena Hennessey)
  • Monday, August 15, 2011, 10:45am - 11:45am at Community Fitness 65th St Studio(for Randee Fox)
  • Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 10:45am - 11:45am at Community Fitness 65th St Studio (for Jill Pagano)
  • August 29, 2011, 10:45am - 11:45am at Community Fitness 65th St Studio (for Randee Fox)
  • September 5, 2011 (Labor Day), 10:45am - 11:45am at Community Fitness 65th St Studio (for Randee Fox)

Joy is the theme:
The theme I have chosen for the month of August is Joy. That’s right Joy with a capital J! All August classes will include some variation on Joy. There is so much to celebrate, appreciate and honor. Join me whenever you can to dance your Joy.

Remember to check the blog for new article updates ☺

As always, I look forward to dancing with you this month!

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Although I was not in your very first class, I was surely in the first 5! I knew right then you would be a NIA Goddess, and so you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie - you absolutely were! If memory serves you came to my 5th class! It was the last weekend in August :). It takes a goddess to recognize a fellow sister. Thank you for seeing me. With love always!

    ReplyDelete