Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 2011 Newsletter

Hello everyone,

Summer has officially arrived in all her brilliance. She is shining her light on our lovely city and beckons us to dance! Ok, she beckons me to dance but so does Fall, Winter, and Spring :). I have noticed that the season of Summer infuses my dance with a lightness, brightness and expansiveness. I am feeling more adventurous about exploring my movement edges. I consider it my season of free dance.



FreeDance: 
Anything goes, movement wise. 
Let go of structure. 
Break out and move in spontaneous, free ways.

I began the month of July with a special July 4th class on FreeDance and IndepenDance (I pronounce as In Deep In Dance). FreeDance is the 4th (hence using it for my fourth of July class) principle of the Nia white belt. The intent of FreeDance is to stimulate movement creativity. FreeDance expands your movement choices, breaks rigidity and habits, and encourages your authentic dance. It creates an intimate connection between the music, and your body, mind, emotions and spirit.

How does it do this you ask? There are 8 distinct stages to FreeDance. Each stage is a layer of movement exploration. In that spirit, I will be compiling routines for the month of July to inspire you to discover new and creative ways to express yourself through movement. By the end of the month, we will have gone through all 8 stages of FreeDance, which are:

Stage 1: Freedance: Anything Goes Movement-Wise
Stage 2: Being Seduced By Music: The Art of Listening
Stage 3: Feeling and Emotions: Pretend, Fake It, Act as If
Stage 4: The Creative Source: The Real You
Stage 5: Authentic Movement: Change
Stage 6: Witness: Interfere… Judge… Not! Observe
Stage 7: Choreography: The Accidental “click”
Stage 8: Nia Class: Levels 1,2,3

Join me for the journey!

I only have 3 class announcements this month:

Monday, July 11, 2011
Class venue change for just this one day. There is a performance at Open Flight Studio on the evening of July 11th so NO class will be held at Open Flight Studio. Instead, I will hold a special class will be held at Fresh Fitness and Dance in Wallingford from 5:30pm – 6:30pm. This special class will be a practice session for a new routine I am learning. Come join me in breaking down the steps for a new routine!
Summary:
Join me on Monday, July 11, 2011 from 5:30pm – 6:30pm at Fresh Fitness and Dance in Wallingford  (4430 Corliss Ave. N, Seattle, WA, 98103) for a special rehearsal class for the routine “SkyDancing.” Class by donation.


Subbing Tuesday morning's in the Mount Baker neighborhood for 2 weeks!
I am subbing for my beautiful colleague Mollia Jensen at on the following days and times at the stunning Mt Baker Community Club space:

Tuesday, July 12, 2011: 9:30am – 10:30am
Tuesday, July 19, 2011: 9:30am – 10:30am

Both classes will be held at: The Mount Baker Community Club at 2811 Mount Rainier Drive S., Seattle

View Larger Map

Thursday, July 28, 2011 - Class Announcement
On Thursday, July 28, 2011, Mollia Jensen will be subbing for my 6:30pm class at Fresh Fitness and Dance as my husband and I celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary!

I danced with Mollia before I became a teacher and I miss dancing with her. She’s a wonderful instructor and overall human being. To learn more about Mollia: http://www.mahaflow.com/about-me/
Please come dance with her Thursday, July 28th.

My current class schedule: http://everybodyloveyourbody.blogspot.com/p/class-schedule.html

I look forward to dancing with you this month and exploring our movement capabilities through the stages of FreeDance! Bring all that Vitamin D you’ve been soaking up and shine your light on the dance floor.

With warmth and a dancing heart,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment