Saturday, April 9, 2011

Body and Sound Vibration

Last night we worked with physical vibration. This morning, our focus is on the effect music has on our bodies through sound vibration. The intent is to stimulate and motivate us to move creatively and expressively with the music.

“Sound is felt and perceived through the bones, organs, and skin as waves, as a sea of energy that engulfs the entire body. Sound and music induces systemic, whole body resonance as vibrations trigger chemical responses. As resonance reverberates, sound diffuses and is re-echoed throughout the body, sending vibrations that actually form geometric patterns of energy. It is this precise patterning that relaxes, stimulates, motivates or harmonizes.” - excerpt from Nia resources

I love listening deeply and intently to music – I listen for lyrics, voices, instruments, pitch, tone, timber, harmonics, rhythm, and to the subtle sounds created within and between the sounds. I listen and sense for where, in my body, I feel the music and what emotional energy it brings forth. There are so many layers to appreciate. This is true for our bodies and our dance as well. Even though we use our physical bodies when we dance, we can also invite our emotional, mental, spiritual and energetic bodies to participate. These layers create infinite levels of expression and in my opinion, bliss!

This morning, we will sense how the sound of the music echoes and sends vibrations throughout the body. We’ll be invited to move our bodies to enhance these vibrations and create spontaneous, harmonious and joyful movement.

Join me from 10:30am – 11:30am at the beautiful natural-light filled Open Flight Studio in the University District. Come dance and then check out the farmer’s market!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely delicious! I wish I could be with you in more than Spirit! I would love to learn more about your process if you would like to share.

    So funny, to see my picture :)) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Catherine! I can share more about my process :) What would you like to know? I am headed off to teach and will leave a comment again later. You are radiant! xo

    ReplyDelete