Wednesday, April 27, 2011

May 2011 Newsletter

May is National Physical Fitness Month: an entire month devoted to promoting physical activity in the pursuit of happier, healthier, and more productive lives. I think every day should be devoted to this pursuit and I believe it is possible through Nia – particularly with its commitment to dancing through life with joy and pleasure. To that end, I have decided to focus on one aspect of Nia for an entire month and go deeply into it.

For the month of May, all of my classes will focus on the upper extremities of the body. The upper extremities of the body include the fingers, hands, wrists, forearms, elbows, upper arms, shoulder joints, collarbones, and shoulder blade.

Think about all of the ways we express ourselves with our arms and hands: hugs, touch, eating, typing, creating art, writing, waving, gardening, driving, dancing, and on and on.

Throughout the month we will explore the 18 specific Nia movements that emphasize the upper extremities and their respective conditioning effects. But most importantly, we will be invited to express ourselves creatively, playfully and pleasurably via our arms and hands.

I attribute my natural ability to express myself with my hands to my latina roots. I am truly at home harnessing the power of my upper extremities to communicate what I am feeling and I am just so excited to share this with you. I wish I could say the same for my legs and feet (giggle)! The routines I will be working with this month include Velvet, Butterfly, and Sky Dancing.

I look forward to dancing and learning with you this month (as always).

Below are announcements and updates.

With love and dancing arms, hands and fingers,
Jennifer

May Schedule
No classes Memorial Day weekend: Friday, May 28 – Monday, May 30, 2011!

New classes starting this week!
Sundays 10:30am at Delilah’s Belly Dance Studio in Fremont begins THIS weekend on Sunday, May 1st
and
Fridays 5:30pm at Open Flight Studio in the University District begins next week on Friday, May 6th

My full schedule: http://everybodyloveyourbody.blogspot.com/p/class-schedule.html 

Gentle Nia and Nia 5 Stages Update
I am still seeking out the perfect studio space to nurture and grow my Nia 5 Stages and Gentle Nia classes. Stay tuned!


EVENT CHANGE! 
Nia 5 Stages Playshop: May 14, 2011
*This playshop was originally schedule for 1:30pm - 3:30pm at the Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood but due to a scheduling conflict, I have moved it to 9:30am - 11:30am at Open Flight Studio in the University District.
Nia 5 Stages Playshop: Core of the Body
Saturday, May 14, 2011 – 9:30am - 11:30am
(regular scheduled Nia class begins at 10:30am and is open to everyone)
Location: Open Flight Studio, 4205 University Way NE, Seattle, WA, 98105
Cost: $17 for the 2-hour workshop

To register, please email me at jennifer@everybodyloveyourbody.com



The Nia 5 Stages of self-healing is an integrative practice based on the five stages of human development: embryonic, creeping, crawling, standing and walking. This workshop is dedicated to self-healing and to the using these five movements as stimulation to feel better in your body.

When the body moves through the Nia 5 Stages, the body, mind, emotions, and spirit naturally realign, unify and integrate, leaving a greater sense of wholeness, health and well-being. Developed as a practice, these stages lead to changes that improve one's physical comfort, ability to move efficiently, and improvement in whole body functioning and posture.

The upper extremities of the body include the fingers, hands, wrists, forearms, elbows, upper arms, shoulder joints, collarbones, and shoulder blade.

During this 120-minute playshop, we will explore how the upper extremities of the body are supported and activated in each of the five stages through the sensations of flexibility, agility, mobility, strength and stability. We will then experience an hour-long Nia routine that focuses on the movements from the upper extremities.


FREE Introduction to Nia class
When: Sunday, May 22nd from 10:30am – 11:30am
Where: Deliliah’s Belly Dance Studio in Fremont.
Why: Delilah is hosting a garage sale in front of the studio that morning. Come to the sale and invite your friends to learn Nia! I will be teaching this hour-long class. And then head on down to the Nia Spring Jam at the Mt Baker Community Center. A Nia-full day – yippee.

Traffic Alerts!
Give yourself some additional time to get to the University District for class on Saturday, May 7th (Windermere Cup Opening Day) and Saturday, May 21st (University District Street Fair).

Month of June:
I will be in NYC visiting my family from June 9-19. I am excited to spend time with my feisty 92-year old grandmother, get some TLC from my mom and chase around my little nephews. I will send out a separate email later this month with information about my June class schedule.


Event: Join us this Sunday May 1st! 
What: Nia Benefit Class for Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure Breast Cancer Walk
When: Sunday, May 1, 2011 from 4pm - 5pm
Where: Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood: 124 North 103rd Street, Seattle, WA 98133
Fee: $15
All proceeds to go to the Susan G Komen 3-day for the Cure Breast Cancer walk.

Gretchen Musgrove and I are co-teaching this fundraiser class. We are raising money to support a dear Nia community member-student for the Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure Breast Cancer walk.

Please join us for an hour of dance and community-building for an important cause!

Event: Nia Spring Jam Sunday, May 22, 2011
Theme: We R 1 -Promoting Unity Through Dance
When: Sunday, May 22, 2011 from 2pm – 4pm
Where: Mt Baker Community Club: 2811 Mt Rainier Dr S, Seattle, WA 98144
Fee: $20 at the door.
Questions: Contact Mollia Jensen at molliania@gmail.com

Jam Teachers include ME (yay!), Gretchen Musgrove, Susan Tate, Jena Hennessey, Elise Tissot Storey, Jackie Thai, Sandra Caldwell (Nia Tacoma!), Wendy Chapman and jam juggling diva Mollia Jensen!

In times of chaos and uncertainty, when the world is shaken by earthquakes and demands for freedom are being shouted every where - that's a great time to get together and DANCE! NiaSeattle's annual spring jam is focusing on UNITY.

Bring your dancing feet and together we can help spread peace and unity one movement at a time.

*I am also celebrating two other milestones on May 22nd. The first is celebrating the anniversary of my Nia teacher training which began on May 22, 2010 last year. The second is celebrating twelve years since I met my wonderful husband. I am certain to be full of bliss this day. Bring on the JOY!

Nia in Hawaii 2012 
Early registration for the Hawaii retreat is officially open.

If you register with a $500 deposit before May 31st 2011, we can easily get you on an easy payment plan. This helps you and helps us block out enough rooms for our group far in advance so we can have a really fun retreat. For thinking ahead we will also give you a FREE extra night room and board (adding at the beginning of your retreat) for your personal rest and relaxation or adventurous spirit.

Sign up before May 31st! Kalani also has guided tour service to see volcano, hot springs, snorkel sites and more you could do on this day.

For more information: http://everybodyloveyourbody.blogspot.com/p/hawaii-retreat.html

To register: http://www.delilahs-belly-dance-retreat.com/January2012-B/registration2012B.html

No comments:

Post a Comment