Monday, May 23, 2011

The Dance of the Forearms


The focus of tonight's class is movement of the forearm bones. The intent is to sense the spiraling action of these bones and how they add to the unique expression and conditioning of your upper extremities.

The Forearm Bones

I am the voice of your forearm bones – the spiral twins. I exist between your elbow and wrist. By name, I am radius and ulna. Follow your thumb and you ride along my radius. Follow the line of your little finger and you find my ulna. My bones are the only two bones in your body that can spiral around each other. My main function is to rotate your palm. I make it possible for you to push and pull with great power and little effort while protecting the shallow and delicate shoulder joint. You keep me healthy by turning your palms up, down, in and out.

- From the Nia Technique

Here is a student download on the forearms: http://nianow.com/sites/nianow.com/files/downloads/NiaEH_Forearms.pdf?download=1

We will explore palm directions, movements from the wrists, blocks, punches and painting the space with our arms, hands and fingers.

Join me tonight from 5:30pm - 6:30pm at Open Flight Studio in the University District.

No comments:

Post a Comment