Monday, May 2, 2011

The Sensation of our Upper Extremities

The focus of tonight’s class is the sensation of all of our upper extremities. The intent is to explore how we express ourselves with our fingers, hands, wrists, forearms, elbows, upper arms, shoulder joints, collarbones, and shoulder blade.


The Voice of The Arms, Hands and Fingers
"To the physical part of you I offer a way to touch, hug, and love. I am to you, like the branches of a tree. When you desire, I reach out to fulfill your wishes and wantings. When you are scared, I hold you tenderly. When you need love, I openly touch and caress you.

To the mental part of you I offer a way to outwardly express what you are thinking and imagining. When your thoughts are free, I am open and relaxed, available to sensations of life. When your thoughts are rigid and fearful I become tight and bound, locked into a solid form. When your thoughts are free to move, to expand, and to dream, I am agile, strong, and powerfully available to help you create.

To the emotional part of you I offer visual aids for expressing what you feel. As you open to what is moving inside of you, I will respond without needing any thought. I act as you feel. I respond as you feel. I gesture and speak without words as you feel. I follow your feelings and create by design symbols of body gesture.

My energy is magic and fills you either with the power of lightning to become strong, or liquid to become full and soft. My divine essence allows you to hold space for yourself and for others through the magic of touch.

Use me and I will support you in bringing more joy and clarity into your life. Use me and discover the joy of play. Awaken to my endless possibilities."

Adapted from Nia Technique Book.

In tonight’s class we will broadly explore our unique sensation of our upper extremities. Over the next four weeks we will explore each of the upper extremities and associated Nia movements in more depth. Tonight we will play with a variety of songs from different routines and I will be introducing three new songs from the routine, Velvet.

Join me tonight from 5:30pm – 6:30pm at Open Flight Studio in the University District.

No comments:

Post a Comment