Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hips Don’t Lie

The focus of tonight’s class is movement with our hips. The intent is to find ease as we experience both the mobility and stability with the hip joint.

The hip joint is a ball and socket joint. The head of the femur forms the “ball” and inserts into the socket of the pelvis. The ball shape allows for mobility in many directions, while the depth of the socket provides stability.

According to the founders of Nia: Healthy hip joints are vital to fluidity and power in your legs. When your hip joints move freely, your pelvis and thighbones can work together to support you in any range of motion.

To celebrate my upcoming trip back to my home city of the Bronx in NYC, I will be teaching songs from the latin-inspired routine, Aya. This is by far one of my favorite routines and it definitely reminds me of home and my latin roots. Get ready to move your hips tonight!

Here is a little taste of Aya from a Nia Dance Break I participated in last year in Portland:



Class at 5:30pm at Community Fitness 65th Street Studio. Drop-in for $12!

No comments:

Post a Comment