Saturday, September 3, 2011

Shining Our Light with Grace and Guts

Earlier today I participated in a special class celebrating 5 years of Nia at the Civetta Dance Space in Greenwood. The seeds were planted by Susan Tate, who I and so many others consider our Nia mama, and she has cultivated a most precious space for other teachers and dancers/students.

Susan set the class focus today of "shining your light with a spice of grace and guts." That focus alone blew me away but the songs selected brought this focus to a new level of somatic exploration. All I can say is WOW! Susan teaches a masterful class - always filled with sound, laughter, wonder, and truly joy-full movement.

The three other Dance Space Nia instructors (myself, Jena Hennessey and Gretchen Musgrove) each contributed to this focus and routine with one song each. I feel so incredibly blessed to be part of this community. The class today left me in a state of immense happiness and grateful to these three incredible women who I consider my colleagues, teacher-mentors, and soul sisters.

Here is a photo taken of the four of us after class. What a gorgeous group of women!

Gretchen, Jennifer, Susan and Jena

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,

    Thank you for this post and for your masterful teaching and choreography of the "Just Say Yes" song. WOW!! It was perfect for our mix.

    It was an honor to co-create this class in this space with you, Gretchen, and Jena. Thank you for being in my life.

    With great love, NIa joy, and respect,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete