Thursday, September 29, 2011

Voice of the Feet

The focus of tonight's class is the feet. The intent is to connect with the feet as a stable base and our foundation.

Nia Handout on the Feet
Voice of the Feet 

I am the voice of your feet. I am the hands that touch the earth.By design, there are two of me. One of me supports your left side, and one supports your right side. Each of me has 26 bones and 25 joints.

I let you know where you are through sensation coming from over 7,000 nerve endings in each of my soles.

My function is to provide you with a foundation, a trampolinelike base with arches that run horizontally and longitudinally.

I function best when your ankle joint is free and involved.

What keeps me healthy is being allowed to be naked and free to naturally settle into a relaxed, more elongated and expanded design. If I am confined, I get cranky and lock up.

I never work alone, but always with my partner, the ankle joint.

I provide stability and support from my inner arch, which is made up of the big toe and the next two toes. My arches give you a springboard.

My toes, designed to lengthen and spread, need space and freedom. At the back of me is my largest bone, the calcaneus, and the part known as the heel. Together with my second largest bone, the talus, and the smaller bones, the navicular, cuneiform, metatarsals, and my inner arches, I provide flexibility, power, and stability.

I make it possible for you to receive energy from the earth and to be touched as you walk, run, skip, hop, play sports, dance and live in your world. Visualize me as a magic carpet, one you ride on and are elegantly supported by from underneath.

I look forward to dancing with you tonight 6pm at Fresh Fitness and Dance in Wallingford.

No comments:

Post a Comment