Monday, March 14, 2011

Movement Originating from the Spine

The focus of tonight's class is the spine. The spine has 26 vertebrae, natural curves and the ability to bend, lean and twist. Visualize the spine as an elegant string of fluid pearls.

"By design, arms and hands are designed to reach out and draw in, moving energy into and away from the center of the body: the spine. The spine is the first structure formed in the mother's womb—and from the spine, all other limbs are birthed. Why is this important to think about? When movement originates from the spine, our limbs have the support they need to move in their full range with power, ease and efficiency. Ultimately, this means we move better and experience more overall comfort and pleasure. Best of all, we have more energy to enjoy our lives, as our bodies are not struggling to compensate for imbalance and improper use." - Debbie Rosas, Nia Co-founder

An excerpt provided by nianow.com:

The Voice of the Spine
"To the physical part of you, I am the internal structure that separates and allows movement. 

Long and flexible, I remind you to move from within like a snake. 

Larger at the bottom, I remind you that a strong base provides you with freedom and security. 

Feel my length, my snake-like energy running through you from top to bottom. 

My edges lie close, next to your organs. My spiny protrusions, like thorns on a rosebush, extend from your back into spaces behind you. 

My energy centers, along your back, cascades your energy down into the Earth. Your bones at the sides of this central energy cascade reach up and out into space like wings. 

Dance with me and unleash the potential I offer to you in these 26 soul bones."

Join me tonight as we play and dance with lines, circles, and spirals to some awesome global beats.

Class begins at 5:30pm at Open Flight Studio in the University District.

No comments:

Post a Comment